Saturday, October 2, 2010

Where's the Pao?

I forgot to try something in my kung pao chicken: something spicy. What's kung pao chicken without the pao?

Traditional kung pao uses dried hot peppers. I even had some hot peppers! Why didn't I use them?

Fortunately, there are some leftovers I can add a few peppers to. A hot sauce would probably work fine as well.

So here's my revised kung pao? chicken theory:

1. Chicken Cubes
2. Sauce with some form of peanut flavour
3. Some pao! (like hot peppers)
4. Serve over rice in a way that could be described as asian-ish



One last thought.

According to Wikipedia, "Kung Pao" was considered a politically incorrect term for the dish during the cultural revolution, because it was named after a general whose title was Gong Bao. So, it was renamed to the less imaginative fast-fried chicken cubes, but you did have the choice of also calling it chicken cubes with seared chiles (of course, China wasn't the last nation to employ food newspeak).

Anyway, if it was such a big deal, why didn't they just rename it to Kung Mao?


No comments:

Post a Comment