Monday, October 18, 2010

I've probably read to much dystopic fiction



A good can opener is hard to find

As I was growing up, my family went through a lot of can openers. I've never felt such a sense of absolute defeat, for example, as I did in one particular instance, staring at an unopened can of Alphagheti surrounded by about half a dozen useless can openers I'd scavenged from various corners of the kitchen. As a child, I could feel my entire future slipping away from me. How could I be expected to make it in a world of unsurmountable challenges if my parents couldn't even supply me with the tools to open a can of soup?


I was pretty sure my mom bought all her can openers at the dollar store, so when I moved out of home, I bought the most expensive can opener I could find. It cost me somewhere around $30, and it broke the first time I used it.

Since that was around the time of Y2K paranoia, I began to worry for the future of humanity. What good will bunkers full of canned goods do if our can openers fail us? I'm reminded of the Twilight Zone episode about the guy at the end of the world who finally gets what he wants: an empty planet with all the books he could ever want, and then he breaks his glasses. (Personally, I don't see what the big deal was. Surely he could have found his way to any number of optometrist's to loot. Anyway, that guy would have had a lot more pressing concerns trying to survive in the aftermath of nuclear apocalypse.)

So when cans with pull-off tops showed up on the scene, I was able to face life with renewed hope and vigor.

But today, the unthinkable: the tab popped off my can while I attempted to open it. The tab failed me, and I was forced to resort to the unpredictable can opener. On the second can I opened, the tab worked, but I sliced my knuckle on the lid. In a true survival situation, I couldn't afford the risk of injury to my hands -- the tab system is convenient, but frankly, too dangerous.

Again, my world is shaken. 

So, if only to provide my readers with a sense of security about the future of our species, I've tracked down this video to demonstrate an alternative that looks both safe and easy. And I hope hope none of us get stuck in the bunker with that guy.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, have can opener issues. I can't work them at all and have often agonized over the very same concerns you raise here. (Although you need to step back from that Twilight Zone episode, he was INCREDIBLY nearsighed. He NEVER could have found his way to the optometrist to loot their load. Remember how thick those glasses were???) Nevertheless, I blame MY can opener problems on being the left-handed daughter of a dyslexic man. We all have our crosses to bear, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear I'm not alone in the struggle. Keep up the good fight.

    ReplyDelete